This is among the easiest ways to make homemade pretzels, and the result is delicious! The dough recipe is one that’s been passed down through the generations and requires only rest for 10 minutes prior to creating the shape. The baking soda boil, which is quick and easy to prepare, will give the pretzels their classic taste. Be sure to watch the video on the blog post on how to make pretzels!
- 1 1/2 cup (360ml) warm water (lukewarm– around 100°F (38°C)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons (7g) active or instant dried yeast (1 standard packet)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter that has been melted and left to cool
- 3 and 3/4-4 cups (469-5 00g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled) Plus additional flour for hands and work surface
- coarse salt or coarse sea salt for sprinkling
Baking Soda Bath (See Recipe Note)
- 1/2 cup (120g) baking soda
- 9 cups (2,160ml) water
- Mix the yeast in warm water. Let it sit for one minute. Stir in brown sugar, salt and melted butter. Add slowly 3 cups flour one cup at a time. Mix using an wooden spoon (or dough hook that is attached to a Stand mixer) until the dough is smooth. Add 3/4 cup of ingredients until it is no sticking anymore. If it’s still sticky, add 1/4- 1/2 cup more as required. Make a poke with your finger . If you feel it bounce back then it’s ready to be kneaded.
- Make the dough on a surface that is floured. Make the dough into a ball for three minutes before shaping into the shape of a ball. Then, cover the ball with a towel and let sit for 10 mins. (Meanwhile I prefer to bring the water and baking soda to boil as directed in step 6.)
- Bake at 400 degrees F (204degC). Line two baking sheets using parchment and silicone baking mats. Baking mats made of silicone are strongly advised on top of parchment papers. If you are using parchment paper, lightly spray it with non-stick spray or grease it using butter. Set aside.
- A sharp blade or pizza slicer cut the dough into 1/3-cup sections.
- Make the dough into a 20-22-inch rope. Create a circle from the dough by joining the two ends on high points of the circles. Twist the ends. The twisted ends should be brought back toward you and press them in to form the pretzel shape.
- Bake soda, as well as 9 cups of boiling water to simmer in a large saucepan. Place a couple of pretzels in the water and let them sit for about 20-30 minutes. If you go longer than that, your pretzels will be stale and have an unpleasant metallic taste. Utilizing a slotted spatula take the pretzel off of the water. Allow all excess water to evaporate. Set the pretzel on a baking sheet. Sprinkle them with sea salt that is coarse. Repeat with the remaining pretzels. If you wish, you may put the pretzels in a container and freeze the unbaked or boiled pretzels up to 24 hours prior to baking in step 7.
- Bake for 12 to 15 to 15 minutes, or until the top is golden.
- Remove from hot oven, and then serve with spicy cheese sauce made with nachos.
- Keep leftover pretzels covered and stored at the room temperature for up to 3 days. They soften a bit as time passes. To warm them in the microwave, microwave for a couple of seconds or bake at 350degF (177degC) for five minutes.